Home > Organisations > Parish Church > Organ Restoration

Restoration of Father Willis Organ

HLF logo

Organ before rest PE1   
The Father Willis Organ in the church of St Peter & St Paul Fressingfield has been restored.

Organ before rest PE2This website details the history of the organ, the Heritage Lottery application and the activities around it to ensure that this worthy organ has been restored to secure its place in our heritage for many years to come.

Fressingfield Church

Fressingfield ChurchThe best view of the of St Peter and St Paul Fressingfield is as you approach Fressingfield from the north. The church stands high at the heart of this north Suffolk village with the 500 year old guildhall of St Margaret of Antioch beside it, now the famous Fox and Goose restaurant. The parish of Fressingfield has an area of 4618 acres and is situated in the north of the diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Apart from its large regular attendance, the church is visited by many visitors during the year from those researching family connections.

There is a rich tapestry of worship enhanced by a 25 member choir, celebration and worship teams. We have regular sung evensong, Holy Communion, baptisms, weddings and funerals, contemporary services, family@church services and more. School children, cubs and scouts and The British Legion attend special services.

Brief history of St Peter & St Paul

The present church dates from between 1320 and 1330 when the parishes of Chepenhall (Chippinghall) and Fyrsenfield (Fressingfield) came together. It was built on an earlier foundation and by 1350 the present nave, cancel and tower were in position.

South PorchThe south porch was built by Catherine De La Pole in 1420 in memory of her husband and her son who were killed at Agincourt.

Tomb of Archbishop Sancroft

The tomb of Archbishop Sancroft is located just to the side of the south porch. William Sancroft was born in Fressingfield in 1617 and went on to become the 79th Archbishop of Canterbury.

Hammerbeam Roof
Internally, the church is famous for its series of carved bench ends and its single hammerbeam roof, marvellous examples of 15th century woodcarving. Angels and fleur de lys were removed from the roof beams during the Reformation. Only two angels remain.

Oak BenchesOne of the greatest treasures of the interior is the magnificent set of medieval oak benches, believed to be the finest in the county. They date from 1470 and still stand upon their original kerbs. Sadly they also suffered some damage during the Reformation.

Oak Bench CarvingThe pulpit was presented in 1887 in memory of Archbishop Sancroft.

(photo of Fress church nave to come)

For more information about the church, click here to visit the Suffolk Churches website.